Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Christian Louboutin on why his shoes are so popular with women

Christina Louboutin makes incredibly beautiful, incredibly expensive women's shoes.  I recently saw a selection of Louboutin shoes advertised where the least expensive pair was $595.  In any kind of a practical frame of mind, it seems silly, maybe wrong, to spend that much money on a pair of shoes.  However, just from a fantasy, fashion as art viewpoint, his shoes are gorgeous.  It doesn't hurt the fantasy that many of the women shown wearing Louboutins are stunning (and would be, even if they were wearing mukluks).

I just saw an article from the Daily Mail about Louboutin in which he explains why he thinks his shoes are so popular.  At one point, in the article The designer recounted a meeting with a French academic to The Sunday Times: 'She said that what is sexual in a high heel is the arch of the foot, because it is exactly the position of a woman's foot when she orgasms.'

I've heard this theory before.  It may have some validity but I don't think so.  I think it has more to do with the idea that no matter how thin, thick, old, young, confident, shy or whatever, a beautiful shoe looks beautiful and helps a woman feel beautiful.  You don't have to lose weight or have Botox to buy and wear beautiful shoes. 

High heels were the first items of female attire I wore.  There was something wonderful about seeing myself in heels, right from the start.  I still get a special feeling when I wear heels.

It's a silly but kind of a fun article.  Maybe Louboutin actually believes this stuff and maybe he's just having fun. 

I also enjoyed the reader comments.  Good way to bring the whole discussion back down to earth.  Some of my favorites:

"The designer recounted a meeting with a French academic to The Sunday Times: 'She said that what is sexual in a high heel is the arch of the foot, because it is exactly the position of a woman's foot when she orgasms." Christian, darling... she LIED!


My feet don't hurt when I have an orgasm

Thank God orgasms are free! Who can afford Louboutin's in this economy?!?

1 comment: