Friday, October 29, 2010

Missing Our National Holiday

I've had many enjoyable Halloweens.  For someone who loves to dress, but isn't remotely passable, it's a wonderful opportunity to be out in public.  I've always been 99% closeted so to be out and about as Linda is just so liberating. 

One of my favorite Halloweens was several years ago.  I was wearing a nice conservative dress and black pumps, my favorite long curly wig and full makeup.  I drove around to several stores, buying a few things here and there, mostly so I could be out among people as Linda.  I know, not very exciting, but still so nice.

My last stop was a bagel shop (yes, I am one wild person).  There were two young girls working behind the counter.  It was after 6 and I was the only customer.  I checked out the selection, trying to decide what to buy.  When I said, in my regular voice, "I'm ready" the girl closest to me looked at me in shock.

"I thought you were really a lady," she said.  "You look really good."

Now, I'm sure she was mostly being kind.  She had also probably worked a really long day.  After you've waited on many customers, you probably don't look all that carefully when one more typical customer comes in.  In any case, I was thrilled.

She called her co-worker over and told her about me.  They were so, so nice.  They told me I looked very nice and admired my dress and heels.  The first girl said, "You even have boobies" and giggled.

We chatted for a few minutes.  It was wonderful.

I know, I know.  Not an adventure for most people.  Not even close.  But it made me feel great.

I wished I didn't need to get home and change.  I have many commitments (maybe I'll talk about those some day) and had to get back to them.  But for a few hours, it was great to be out as Linda, even if it was just to buy milk and bagels.

No comments:

Post a Comment